276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Wave Me Goodbye

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

When she gets off the train no one wants to take her so a lady is forced to take her and two boys . Jacqueline is one of the nation’s favourite authors, and her books are loved and cherished by young readers not only in the UK but all over the world. She has sold millions of books and in the UK alone the total now stands at over 35 million! This book is about a 10 year old girl called Shirley. She wakes up one morning to find that she is being evacuated to the countryside with her school. This book is set during World War Two where most children were evacuated to the countryside. Shirley is evacuated to a big house with two boys, Kevin and Archie. In the red house there live two women (Chubby and Mrs Waverly) but the house is unfurnished. In this book you find out the reason for this and many other secrets.

Beginning in 1941, the series tells the story of David Stirling, an eccentric young officer who finds himself hospitalised in Cairo after a training exercise goes wrong. Shipyard Sally (1939) - Monty Banks - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie. Wave Me Goodbye' is a story following young Shirley Smith when she is suddenly evacuated to Meadow Ridge, there she finds herself living with a secretive woman called Mrs Waverly. September, 1939: At the breakout of the Second World War , ten-year-old Shirley is sent away on a train. She doesn't know where she's going, or what's going to happen to her when she gets there. All she has been told is that she's going on 'a little holiday'.

Support The Stage by registering or subscribing

At a time in life when most people are taking it easy, Jacqueline is a literary powerhouse and shows no sign of slowing down. In fact, she is utterly defiant towards the idea. For the last couple of weeks I have had the pleasure of reading, Wave Me Goodbye by Jacqueline Wilson. This book is a great read and I never got bored once; the thing that makes Wave Me Goodbye such an enjoyable read for me, was Chubby the house maid she isn't like any normal housewife and always has her own opinion which is usually right. This book just makes history so much more fun and easier to learn about, it is also a realistic story about an evacuee. I am now very excited to learn more about history and especially evacuees. Furthermore I am so eager to read any future books by Jacqueline Wilson especially ones with such a lovely ending like Shirley's. I found this book really realistic, and it helps if you are learning about evacuees and the second world war. I recommend this book to 8, 9, 10, and 11 year olds. Mrs Waverly also lets Shirley in on her secret room and confides in her about why she keeps what she does in there, it is very moving only a situation involving Kevin and him then running away leads him and Shirley into a dangerous encounter. With [creating] characters I find it quite easy because I made up so many imaginary friends when I was a little girl because I didn’t have any siblings,” says the divorced mother of one.

Jacqueline Wilson writes with humour, insight, compassion and understanding. Her characters all are credible and engaging. LoveReading4Kids exists because books change lives, and buying books through LoveReading4Kids means you get to change the lives of future generations, with 25% of the cover price donated to schools in need. Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives. I enjoyed this book and I would recommend this book to other children my age. The history in this book was very realistic; it made me feel like I was the one being evacuated, and I now know more about World War Two evacuees than I did before reading this book. After reading this book I would like to find out more about the war. This book has also made me want to read more books written by Jacqueline Wilson. It’s no picnic but it’s a way of keeping yourself going and better than the alternative,” she laughs.Amy, Bella, Chloe, Daisy and Emily – aka the Alphabet Club – are best friends. Daisy is the newest member and so she’s trying really hard to fit in. But when the girls all start planning sleepover parties for their birthdays, Daisy can’t help but worry about hers…

Medley: This is the Army Mister Jones (from "This is the Army") - F.D.R. Jones (from "The Little Do… Jacqueline is also a great reader, and has amassed over 20,000 books, along with her famous collection of silver rings. Jacqueline Wilson wrote her first novel when she was nine years old, and she has been writing ever since. She is now one of Britain’s bestselling and most beloved children’s authors. She has written over 100 books and is the creator of characters such as Tracy Beaker and Hetty Feather. More than forty million copies of her books have been sold. Upon arriving in the countryside, Jessica and Shirley have to split up as they aren't going to stay at the same places, it unsettled them but they promise to stay friends. Shirley winds up left with a few other children and so they're forced into villagers with rooms. Shirley ends up also placed with Kevin a boy who's also ten but very tall and Archie a young bald boy. They stay with the mysterious Chubby, a bossy housekeeper and her friend Lady Waverley. I'm torn between whether this is a 2.5 or a 3.5 read and whether I missed the boat because 'm not 9-12 or whether this book did just have quite a lot of issues.September, 1939. As the Second World War begins, ten-year-old Shirley is sent away on a train with her schoolmates. She doesn't know where she's going, or what's going to happen to her when she gets there. All she has been told is that she's going on 'a little holiday'. Shirley is billeted in the country, with two boys from East End London, Kevin and Archie - and their experiences living in the strange, half-empty Red House, with the mysterious and reclusive Mrs Waverley, will change their lives for ever. SAS Rogue Heroes is airing each Sunday on BBC One until December 4 while all episodes are available to stream now on BBC iPlayer.

Stephen C. Shafer, British Popular Films, 1929-1939: the Cinema of Reassurance (Oxford: Routledge, 1997), 186. Shirley later sends a postcard to her Mum which describes how it was on her first day and how horrible she found it, however it causes her Mum so much concern she travels to meet the women taking care of her daughter and is so horrified she wants to take Shirley to stay with her boss's relatives.I loved this story because I have learnt much about World War 2, so it was really interesting hearing a story of some kids that were actually there. This book inspired me to learn some more about the war and other people’s experiences. I also really like Jacqueline's books because of how they mostly focus on one person and how they are feeling about the world around them.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment