276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Lady’s Guide to Fortune-Hunting: The Sunday Times #3 Bestseller - a swoonworthy regency romance. ‘Will fill the Bridgerton-shaped hole in your life’ Red

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I loved the enemies to lovers trope, it's one of my favourites and one that was executed tremendously by Irwin. She has no choice, she needs to marry rich and she needs to marry quickly and the only way to do that is to go to London and do a Season. A lifelong bookworm, she aims to provide readers with literary inspiration in the form of book reviews, reading lists and more. I read this book without being able to put it down, so I don't thank NetGallery and HarperCollins UK for the sleepless night, but I do thank them for providing a great source of fun entertainment. The interaction and dialogue between the two is sparkling, witty but also honest, Radcliffe will help Kitty in her task as long as she leaves his brother alone.

A Lady’s Guide to Fortune-Hunting - Publishers Weekly A Lady’s Guide to Fortune-Hunting - Publishers Weekly

Kitty decides the only option is to seek the support of an aunt to go to London and find a rich husband! Her reading obsession continued throughout her teenage years when she studied both English Language and English Literature at college. In Irwin’s sparkling debut, set in Regency-era England, a young woman’s plans to marry into wealth get derailed when the brother of her would-be beau catches on to her scheme.Although we know she is essentially a fortune hunter, we know tight from the start she is decent and doing what many other women had to do because of their circumstances and position in society. I feel like I read a fair few historical romances where the male lead is either alpha male, or alpha male adjacent, very virile and more than a little obsessed with sex (and occasionally, an objectifier of the female lead), but James was none of that. Regency romances seem to have a surge in popularity recently, most likely due to the success of the Bridgerton series that has been adapted for Netflix. Kitty is acerbic, pulls no punches, knows what she wants and she wants a husband so that she can save her family home and ensure that her younger sisters are taken care of. She knows what she wants and out of necessity she will get it but she does it in such a manner that we are cheering for her from the beginning.

A Lady’s Guide to Fortune-Hunting by Sophie Irwin - Waterstones A Lady’s Guide to Fortune-Hunting by Sophie Irwin - Waterstones

honestly, this is one of the best romances I’ve read so far this year and regency romance/rom-com fans are bound to enjoy it! There, Kitty sets her sights on the moneyed Archibald de Lacy, but his brother Lord Radcliffe soon arrives in town and, recognizing Kitty’s motives, tries to prevent an engagement between her and Archie. As with Anne Sharp’s predicament in Godmersham Park, Kitty’s financial situation perfectly highlights the position of women in society and how financially dependent they were on men. What she needs is a marriage to a wealthy man, and quickly before she and her sisters lose their home. I haven't read many Regency novels (other than the obvious classics written at the time) and was very pleasantly surprised with A Lady's Guide to Fortune-Hunting by Sophie Irwin.It was jam packed with lots of fun characters and Sophie Irwin was able to flesh them out to make them feel real. And the aristocratic hero isn't a jaded rich guy charmed by the noble fresh-faced ingenue-he's a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars clearly suffering from PTSD, at a time when one's attitude to everything-from a broken shoe buckle to surviving Waterloo, had to be a perfectly stiff upper lip. The romance between them plays out nicely and I enjoyed the deep characterisation of both characters.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment