276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Face It: A Memoir

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She says almost nothing about the writing or production of her music, and she seems reticent to talk about big events like the dissolution of the group and the break-up of her relationship with Chris Stein. We want to know about Chris Klein- not just that there was a relationship- but what came between them- what broke them up. I was lucky enough to visit “ground zero” for American punk a little past its heyday but before it became almost a tourist destination. The era Debbie decided to go into the most detail of and feels the most passion for is the start of Blondie, CBGBs, and the birth of New York Punk Rock, something she feels very proud of. She has become and still remains a true national treasure, one whose influence continues to impact the worlds of music, fashion and art.

her inherent nerdiness (comics and the space program, oh my), something you would never think possible in the life of an Icon of Cool like Debbie Harry. It's the story of one person's journey through life, something that we all have in common, and the path it leads you down. I had heard she had a drug addiction, but other than that I couldn’t have told one other thing about her. She enriched the exciting and well-written narration of her life with moving poetry, deep thought on coal and diamonds (which I also had and shared privately with friends years ago), encounters and anecdotes related to VIPs, detailed descriptions of New York, its life, districts, fashions, evolution but also on the mechanisms of show business or others purely engineering ones.It's reconstructed from a series of interviews she did to reconstruct her memories, so it's a bit jangly and jumpy, but not overly so. Ebooks fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).

Of course, within a few years Blondie had become a veritable powerhouse of hit songs that topped the charts around the world.

In an arresting mix of visceral, soulful storytelling and stunning visuals, Face It upends the standard music memoir while delivering a truly prismatic portrait. I cannot say enough of how sad and yet happy it was reading and hearing her tell her story- there were times she added stuff on the audio that was not in the book. For my part, over the years and still now after having swept through different musical genres, I like to listen to the Blondie songs old or recent but also to watch their videos where I often found a comic side introduced by this pretty and fascinating woman, oddly enough. In Face It, Debbie Harry invites us into the complexity of who she is and how her life and career have played out over the last seven decades.

Her work as an actress was far more accomplished than I realized and I enjoyed hearing about her movies, although I don’t think I’ve seen anything she played in. BRAVE, BEAUTIFUL AND BORN TO BE PUNK DEBBIE HARRY is a musician, actor, activist and the iconic face of New York City cool. My hope is that she is financially set for her work that is way more important that most newer acts that get paid off the backs of older acts that actually break ground.It is amazing how harrowing and interesting day to day life was for Harry as she spent her formative years in New Jersey and New York City – and she mentions several times that this was before they cleaned it all up.

She never ceases to amaze but what leaves me most curious are her "para" normal experiences and sensitivity (and I wonder if she knows anything about UFOs. There is certainly more that I want to know--more details about Parallel Lines and Eat to the Beat, Blondie's two best albums (in my opinion) from the Early Era; more details about the transition from Eat to the Beat to AutoAmerican, which seems drastic even now, although it was probably something completely normal in the evolution of the band; more of her thoughts on the reaction to KooKoo, which even now seems mixed, despite it being something of a quirky, musical milestone in pop history.

Where I think I see her natural and maybe also the happiest is when she participates in musicals: she sings and she disguises herself at the same time, the game she prefers and that she does the best, I believe . If you have the Making Tracks book from 1982 or the Cathy Che books on her you know the majority of her story and still you never quite get a grasp of who she really is as a person Person. Their early struggling years, and rock and punk and art world friends are a Who's Who of Andy Warhol's 'Interview' and the Bowery/East Village scene, CBGB's in particular. On the contrary, she seems to take her distance from episodes where she behaves in an exemplary manner, but which she takes care to justify by the circumstances to make them normal, while she has great merits in them, as to mask an aspect that may reveal vulnerability. Harry's memoir is divided into many chapters; each read like transcribed interviews, because they are.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment